Layton City FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions

Building Permits

I want to install an alarm in my house. Do I need a permit?
A permit is required for any type of house alarm. Permits for house alarms are obtained through the Police Department.
I'm installing a shed. Do I need a building permit?
Building permits are required for all sheds larger than 200 square feet. All sheds must meet the required setbacks. Contact the Community Development Department for the appropriate information about your particular situation.
I want to remodel my home. Do I need a building permit?
A permit is required for all finishing and remodeling of a home.
I'm installing a sprinkling system. Do I need a permit?
A permit is required for all sprinkling systems that connect to the culinary water system.
Do I need a building permit to finish my basement?
A permit is required to finish a basement. Contact the Community Development Building Division at 336-3760 for more information.

Business Licensing

When do I need a business license?
A business license is required for any money or service exchanged for profit. A license is also required for non-profit organizations; however, these permits are free.

City Attorney's Office

Who does your office represent?
The City Attorney’s Office is legal counsel for the municipal corporation. This office represents the City Council and the various commissions, boards, and departments of the City. This office represents the City when it is involved in a civil lawsuit and this office prosecutes cases involving criminal misdemeanors that occur within the City.
Who and what is a “public defender?”
A “public defender” is an attorney appointed by the court to represent a defendant in a criminal case when that defendant is found to be indigent. The name is based on the fact that the attorney is paid for by the “public” and “defends” the accused. When an entity, such as the City, accepts the responsibility to prosecute criminal cases, the City must also accept the responsibility of providing a public defender for those that cannot afford an attorney. The City does this by entering into a contract with a law firm or attorney to provide these services. The City’s current contract for its public defender services is Larsen, Larsen, Nash & Larsen, who may be contacted at 1-800-769-1026.
How do I find out my court date?
You may do so by contacting the court at (801) 444-4300.
Why can’t I “drop the charges” against someone who has committed a crime against me?
Charges are filed at the discretion of the City Prosecutor. The City presses charges, not an individual. However, if you are the victim of a crime, you are entitled to give input to be considered by the Prosecutor and/or the Judge about your case. If you wish to do so, you should contact the Layton City Victim Advocate, (801) 336-3599.
What do I need to do if I want to sue someone?
The City Attorney cannot help you with your private legal needs. If you wish to sue someone, you need to hire your attorney or represent yourself.
What do I need to do if I want to file a Small Claims case against someone?
The Court has the necessary form. Contact the Court at (801) 444-4300 or go to

Code Enforcement

What kind of surfaces am I allowed to park on?
A hard surface is required for all vehicles and/or recreational vehicles.  This may be cement, asphalt, gravel or compacted road base.
Am I responsible for landscaping and maintaining the park strip area at my house?
  1. 19.16.070- The park strip between any public street and private property shall be landscaped with grass and plantings.  Maintenance of this area shall be the responsibility of the abutting property owner.
My neighbor has not shoveled the snow on his sidewalk for the past two days. Can anything be done about this?
  1. 12.04.060- All accumulations of snow, sleet, or precipitation impairing safe access and use of sidewalks shall be removed within twelve hours from the termination of the storm.
  2. 12.04.060- It shall be unlawful to deposit snow or other material in a street maintained and plowed for purposes of snow removal by the city.  The term “or other material” can include dirt, gravel, or miscellaneous debris.
How quickly do I have to shovel after the end of a snow storm?
All precipitation must be removed from sidewalks within twelve (12) hours of a storm. You may not shovel the snow into the street.
My neighbor has several vehicles in their driveway and some of them partially block the sidewalk. Is this legal?
  1. 10.62.030(1) and 10.62.030(2) – It is prohibited to park a vehicle in such a manner as to obstruct any portion of the sidewalk or parking strip.
There is a business next to my home that has started to store junk and trash around their building. Can anything be done about this?
  1. 19.06.110- No yard or other open space around an existing building shall be used for the storage of junk, trash, building materials, debris, inoperable vehicles or commercial equipment, and fuel.
I have a vehicle on my property that has not been registered for a year, but I am restoring the vehicle. Is there a city ordinance that deals with this issue?
  1. 6.24.170- Old and obsolete vehicles, parts of automobiles, automobiles with parts taken out of them and not in running condition, or automobiles with expired registration of more than four months are prohibited.  A restoration permit may be obtained from Community Development for a $10.00 charge.  There are stipulations for obtaining the permit.  Contact the Community Development Department for additional information.
My neighbor is a truck driver and they often have their truck parked in our neighborhood. Sometimes it is just the truck, but other times it has a trailer attached. Is this legal?
  1. 10.88.020- It is prohibited to park a truck or trailer registered for 13, 000 pounds gross weight or  more in residential areas. It is also prohibited to park an unladen tractor truck in a residential area. These vehicles are restricted to specific roads unless they are crossing a street, servicing or refueling. The following is a list of approved roads for these vehicles:
  • US Highway 89
  • West Hill Field between 1200 West and Main Street
  • Interstate 15
  • Antelope Drive West of University Park Blvd(1200 West)
  • Highway 193
  • McCormick Way
  • Oak Hills Drive
  • Hill Field Road
  • Main Street
  • Railroad right of way
  • Marshall Way
Am I responsible to have my landscaping done? I recently built a home in Layton. How quickly am I required to have my landscaping done?
19.13.050-  Front yard landscaping shall be installed within eighteen (18) months after the issuance of the certificate of occupancy.
I own a business and someone has left a vehicle on my property for two weeks. Is this legal?
  1. 41-6a-1408 - A vehicle parked on a highway for 48 hours or longer; or a vehicle left on public or private property in excess of 7 days without the consent of the owner will be considered abandoned and may be towed.
I have been parking one of my vehicles on our front lawn. Is this legal?
  1. 19.12.100- This code essentially says that if any part of a property is being used to park vehicles, it must be properly graded for drainage, surfaced with concrete, asphalt, road base, or gravel and maintained in good condition, free of vegetation, dust, trash, and debris.
  2. - This code states to park any vehicle, trailer, boat, or similar apparatus upon any developed parcel the area designed for parking must be concrete, asphalt, or similar solid surface and be of size to house the entire vehicle.
  3. 19.12.030 – No portion of a front yard, other than approved driveways, can be used for parking vehicles.
  4. By state law, “vehicles” includes, but is not limited to, a motor vehicle, trailer, semi trailer, off highway vehicle, manufactured or mobile home.
    1. “Off highway vehicle” includes, but is not limited to, motorcycles, ATVs, snowmobiles, and personal watercraft.
How clean do I need to keep my yard?
All yards need to be maintained and clear of junk, trash and debris. This includes any vehicle that is not current on its registration.
Can I park on the sidewalk?
No.  Parking on sidewalks is not allowed.
How many dogs and/or cats am I allowed to have?
You may have a maximum of two dogs, two cats, or one of each in your household.
Can my neighbor park in front of my mailbox?
  1. It is illegal to park any vehicle in any location that interferes with the delivery and monitoring of essential services such as utilities, postal services and refuse collection.
Is it legal for me to park my vehicle on the street or in a commercial parking lot for the purpose of displaying it for sale?
  1. 10.62.030 (3a) – It is prohibited to park a vehicle on any street or publicly owned or controlled property or right-of-way for the principle purpose of displaying the vehicle for sale.
    *This ordinance has been repealed and is being revised.
  2. 19.06.010 – It is prohibited to park any vehicle on commercial property not properly licensed for vehicle sales for the principle purpose of displaying the vehicle for sale.
    1. No property owner can give permission to violate any Layton City ordinance.
What are the laws regarding parking my car, trailer, boat, or recreation vehicle on the street?
Layton City has several ordinances that apply to this scenario.
  1. 10.62.030(4) and 10.68.010(2) - It is prohibited to park any vehicle that cannot be lawfully operated upon public streets upon any street, public right-of-way or publicly owned or controlled property.
    1. In addition to all required equipment, lawfully operated would also mean current registration and insurance.
  2. 10.68.010 – It is prohibited to leave a vehicle parked in the same place on any street or alley continuously for more than 72 hours.
  3. 10.62.030(5) – It is prohibited to park any recreational vehicle, trailer, boat, or similar apparatus on any public street, except for immediate loading or unloading, and never longer than 24 consecutive hours.
  4. 10.62.030(8) – It is prohibited to park any vehicle in a location that interferes with the delivery and monitoring of essential services, such as utilities, postal services and refuse collection.
  5. 10.62.010 – It is prohibited to park any vehicle on any street between 1:00 a.m. and 6:00 a.m.  from December to February, or any other time when removal of snow is apparent or imminent.


When are City elections held?
Elections are held every other year on odd numbered years. Citizens interested in becoming a candidate must file a Declaration of Candidacy with the City Recorder, and meet candidacy requirements.
What is my voting precinct?
You can look up your voting precinct at
How do I register to vote?
Contact Davis County Clerk/Auditor at (801) 451-3420 or download mail-in form at

Emergency Planning

How is the community organized so that citizens can provide and request help in the event of a disaster?
The City is divided into "districts", which use the same boundaries as LDS stakes. Each district is divided into 5 to 10 "areas" which use the same boundaries as LDS wards. Each area is divided into 12 to 20 neighborhoods. LDS stake and ward boundaries are used because they are well established, convenient and recognized by many within the city. It is critical to note that the plan is for all citizens living within these boundaries regardless of religious affiliation. Layton City has asked the LDS stake presidents to help us identify a "district coordinator" for each district. District coordinators are trained by Layton City and are responsible to appoint and train "area coordinators", who appoint and train "neighborhood coordinators". Those who serve as district, area and neighborhood coordinators function as Layton City volunteers, and as such, serve without regard to religious affiliation. Layton City encourages each area to have at least 30 CERT trained citizens who can be divided into at least two teams to perform triage, emergency first aid and rapid damage assessment as soon as possible after an event occurs. CERT teams for each area are organized and coordinated by the area coordinators. During an emergency, district, area and neighborhood coordinators are primarily concerned with the welfare of citizens and act in a prudent and wise manner to see to their safety and well-being. As a secondary concern, they consider the protection and preservation of private property in the neighborhood. Through the organization of functioning districts, areas and neighborhoods, Layton City will be better able to communicate with and assist the citizens of Layton during a major emergency event.
What is CERT training, and how do I schedule training?
CERT stands for Community Emergency Response Team. CERT training provides instruction for citizens to provide basic assistance in areas such as disaster awareness, fire suppression, first-aid, urban search and rescue, and disaster psychology during a catastrophe or disaster. During a disaster, it may be several days before Police, Fire and Medical personnel can respond, so this training provides a valuable service to the student’s family and neighbors that would be served. The course consists of 8 modules and currently costs $25 per participant for the entire course. Courses can be scheduled through the Management Services Department secretary at 336-3820. Also see under “Live and Work“, “Emergency Preparedness“ and “CERT“.
Where can I find more information on Emergency Preparedness?
See under “Live and Work”, “Emergency Preparedness”


When is a Traffic Control Plan (TCP) required with a Street Cut permit?
A TCP is required when the normal function of the roadway is altered creating an unsafe condition for workers, motor vehicles, pedestrians, and or bicycles. Under normal circumstances, construction activities conducted within a subdivision and located on the side of a road is considered reasonably safe for the slower traffic that use the road and will not be required to prepare a TCP. However, the proper signage and channelization devices should still be used to direct traffic away from the work zone.
Where can I get information on the preparation of Traffic Control Plans?
Layton City Engineering has a brief handout that outlines some of the requirements for a TCP. It is not all-inclusive and will not cover all situations. The main resource for preparing a TCP is the “Manual On Uniform Traffic Control Devices, Ch-6”. It is not necessary to purchase the manual. The Federal Highway Administration has made it available on their website at:
Do I need a permit to replace sidewalk, or curb and gutter?
Yes. Any work that will impact the City’s right-of-way requires a permit. This right-of-way is normally one foot behind the sidewalk.
Is a permit required to replace or add an additional drive approach?
Replacement of addition of drive approaches requires a permit, which is given out in the Engineering Department. You need to bring a drawing, which includes a measurement of the property frontage, the measurement of the existing driveway and what you plan to widen or add to your drive approach. This drawing is reviewed and approved through the Community Development department (Scott Carter, Kem Weaver or Peter Matson), prior to obtaining this permit.
Will the City help with any of the sidewalk replacement costs?
The City does a biennial sidewalk replacement project, determined by a physical survey of the City sidewalks, and using URMMA and ADA recommendations. If your sidewalk does not qualify for replacement, or if you desire replacement before the City can schedule this replacement, the City can schedule the cutting out and hauling off of your curb & gutter or sidewalk, and you would then be required to have this replaced by a concrete specialist of your choice. A Sidewalk/ Curb & Gutter/ Drive Approach Replacement Permit is required before the Public Works Department will schedule for this service.
Where do I obtain a Sidewalk/ Curb & Gutter/ Drive Approach permit?
What information will I need to bring to obtain this permit?
Permits for driveway, sidewalk, or curb & gutter replacement are obtained in the Engineering department. You must obtain an approval from Community Development on your drive approach permit if you would like to widen an existing drive approach or adding an additional approach.
When do I need a Street Cut Permit? How do I obtain one?
Anytime you anticipate being in the right-of-way of the City, a street cut permit is required. Normally this is right-of-way is 1-foot behind sidewalk. This permit may be obtained in the Engineering Department. For questions call: (801) 336-3700.
What is a Street Cut Bond? Is this refundable?
A Street Cut Bond is required when digging in the right-of-way of the City. It is determined by the length of cut, and is paid at the time of applying for Street Cut Permit. This Cash Surety Bond is held for one year, and is refundable if the trench maintains its integrity for that year.
What is a trench maintenance fee?
The trench maintenance fee is based upon the size of the road, the length of the cut, the type of utility being replaced or installed, and the placement of the repair within the road. These fees are used for the eventual overlay of these impacted roads.
When do “double winter rates” go into effect on Street Cut permits?
Winter fees shall be double the permit fee for an excavation made between October 15th and May 15th. For further questions, please refer to City Ordinance 99-54, Municipal Code Chapter 12.16.
My sanitary sewer lateral has a break in it. Who is responsible to repair the break?
The homeowner is responsible for the maintenance and repair of the entire lateral, from the home to the connection point at the main. A Street Cut permit will be required to any repair that will impact the street right-of-way, which is 1-foot behind sidewalk.
Where can I find the current Layton City Development Guidelines and Design Standards and Standard Plans for Public Facilities Construction?
These manuals can be found on our website, or they may be purchased at the Public Works Engineering Department at the Layton City offices for $25 a set.
How do I apply for a UPDES General Construction Storm Water Permit?
Applications can be completed online at: All subdivision and commercial developments are required to acquire the UPDES General Construction Storm Water Permit, and submit a copy of this permit to Layton City before a pre-construction meeting can be scheduled.


What is the sales tax rate in Layton City?
See current and historic sales tax rates at


Is the Layton City Fire Department full-time?
The Layton Fire Department is considered to be a combination Fire Department, utilizing both full-time employees and part-time employees. The department's on duty staffing consists of one battalion chief, two paramedic engine companies with three personnel each, one truck company with three personnel and three ambulances with two personnel each. The minimum daily staffing is 16 personnel split between the three fire stations.  
How many square miles does the Layton City Fire Department protect?
Layton City Fire Department protects 25 square miles including unincorporated areas of Davis County. The Fire Department provides medical services at both basic life support and advanced life support levels. The department provides firefighting services, hazardous materials services, rescue, fire prevention, inspection, and so forth. In addition the department provides ambulance services for the Eastern portion of Hill Air Force Base and South Weber City.
What services does Layton City Fire Department provide?

Emergency and Response Services:

  • Fire Suppression and Extinguishment
  • Fire Cause and Origin Investigations
  • Ambulance Service at an EMT Intermediate Level (Scene Response and Intrafacility Transfers)
  • Paramedic Rescue Services (Advanced Life Support)
  • Hazardous Materials Response (Operations and Technician Level)
  • Technical Rescue Services (Trench / Confined Space, High Angle / Mountain Rescue, Automobile / Machinery Extrication.)
  • Evidentiary Blood Draws For The Police Department (DUI and Drug Arrests)
  • Ambulance Service at an EMT Intermediate Level to Hill Air Force Base
  • Ambulance Service at an EMT Intermediate Level to South Weber City

Public Education and Relations Services:

  • Elementary School All Risk Education Program ( All Elementary Schools in Layton City)
  • Fire Prevention Week Open House
  • EMS Week Presentation
  • Fire Extinguisher and Safety Class to Local Businesses
  • Public Speaking and Fire Safety Education at Local Civic Groups as Requested
  • CERT Training
  • Fire Station Tours
  • Blood Pressure Checks
  • Ambulance Standby at High School Football Games and other Special Events
  • Fourth of July Public Fireworks Display

Fire Prevention Services:

  • Fire Code Compliance Inspections (Day Cares, Retail, Hospital, Manufacturing, Public Assembly, etc.)
  • Engine Company Inspections on Commercial Occupancies (General Housekeeping, Pre-Fire Planning, Emergency Contact Information)
  • Plan Reviews New Construction ( Site Access, Hydrant Location, Fire Alarm and Suppression Systems)

Fire Prevention

What are the regulations covering open burning in Layton City?
Open Burning Regulations
City, County and State laws regulate open Burning in Layton City. Burning in Davis County as a whole is limited to agricultural burning or a recreational fire as defined below. To qualify for agricultural open burning you must have 2 acres of farmland, which is used for crop growth or have a fruit orchard with 25 or more fruit trees. Agricultural open burning is limited to organic items, which are incidental, and essential to the agricultural operation "NO TRASH OR YARD WASTE". An example of items which may be burned are: fence lines on cultivated property, stubble fields, ditch banks, weeds when clearing land to be planted and trimmings from fruit trees when in conjunction with an orchard. State law requires that farmers who are going to burn those items notify the nearest fire department prior to burning. Layton City requires that you notify the fire department at (336-3940) and provide them with the start and end times of the burn, an address where the burning will occur, the name and a phone number of the responsible party for the burn and the materials that you will be burning. In addition, Layton City limits open burning to daylight hours and on days that the clean air index, provided by The Davis County Health Department, allows. All agricultural fires must be kept a minimum of 50 feet from structures. The responsible party must have a water supply or other means to control the fire. The fire must be constantly attended until completely out.

Layton City Fire Guidelines

Burning Allowed with Notification:

Camp Fires or recreational or cooking fires:
  • Must be clean dry wood
  • Must be kept under 3’ in diameter
  • Must be kept under 2’ in pile height
  • Must be kept a minimum 25’ from all structures and other combustibles
  • Must be constantly attended by a person eighteen years of age or older
  • Must have bucket of water hose or other means to extinguish
  • Must be used solely for cooking or recreational purposes
  • Must own the property or have written permission to kindle the fire
Agricultural Burning:
  • Must have 2 acres of cultivated land or a fruit orchard of 25 or more fruit trees
  • Must be incident to and essential to the agricultural operation
  • Must be constantly attended
  • To be conducted during daylight hours only
  • Must have means to extinguish or control the fire
  • Must be kept a minimum of 50’ from all structures
  • Must comply with air quality index (except for ditch banks, cannel banks, fence lines on cultivated land. They are still asked to comply with air quality index)
  • When any of the above burning is creating a public hazard the on duty fire officer may have the fire extinguished. When weather or other conditions make burning a hazard, such as winds etc. The officer on duty may deny all burning requests.
Does Layton City Fire Department provide fire prevention services?
Layton Fire Department has an ongoing prevention program at the schools. The Department provides educational programs to preschools, babysitters, scouts, and other businesses requiring fire extinguisher training. These services are provided during the day or at special request by appointment only. The Kendal O. Bryant Fire Prevention Open House is held the 1st Wednesday in October at Fire Station 1.
Do buildings in Layton City require any approval from the Fire Department?
Layton Fire Department has a full-time Fire Marshal and a full-time Fire Inspector. Their duties include inspection of buildings during the site plan phase, the building phase, and the maintenance of the building throughout its life. Fire inspections are carried out on an ongoing routine basis with special attention paid to new buildings.

Government Records

How can I get copies of Council meeting minutes?
Council minutes are available at
When are Council meetings held?
Council meetings are held the 1st and 3rd Thursday of each month at 7:00 p.m. in the City Center Building, 437 N. Wasatch Dr.
Can I receive copies of Council meeting agendas?
Yes; subscribe at

Heritage Museum

When was the museum opened?
The Heritage Museum was conceived as a Bicentennial project and the doors of the museum opened in 1980. Currently, the museum has 7,200 square feet of display space.
What type of museum is the Heritage Museum?
The Heritage Museum is a historical museum. Exhibits and permanent displays tell the story of the early social, economic, and cultural development of Northern Davis County.
How did the Layton street get the name Gentile?
Several early Layton settlers were not members of the LDS Church. Consequently, these settlers were referred to as Gentiles. Since the Gentiles tended to live near each other the street where they built homes and a Protestant church became known as Gentile Street.
I have some old things in my garage. Can I donate them to the museum?
The museum takes donations if they apply to the mission of the museum. Anyone interested in making a donation can contact the museum curator by calling (801) 336-3930.

Human Resources

Who will see my application if I use the online application process?

All information is maintained on a secure web server. Only authorized City Staff will have access.

What information will I be asked to provide?

You will be asked to provide personal information such as name, address, phone number, etc. You will also be asked to provide information about your education, employment history, and references. An e-mail address will also be required. You will shorten the time it takes to complete your application if you gather this information before beginning the online process.

What if I do not have a computer or access to the web?

Layton City accepts only online applications. If you do not have access to a computer you may come to the Layton City Management Services office located at 437 North Wasatch Drive, Layton, UT 84041, between the hours of 8:00 am to 4:30 pm Monday through Friday.

Computers are available at public libraries for you to access. Family and friends may also have Internet access available for you to use.

Do I need an e-mail account to set up a “user account” to apply online?

YES. IMPORTANT! User accounts are established for one person only and should not be shared with another person or e-mail address. Multiple applications with multiple users and e-mail addresses may jeopardize your status in the recruitment process for any positions you apply for.

What if I don't have an e-mail account?

To apply online you must create an e-mail account. There are a number of free e-mail services available to the general public.

How do I set up a “user account” to apply online?

Use the Online Registration to create your user account.

Remember to keep a record of your username and password once you have set up an account. If you need to apply for other positions or check the status of your application, you will need to input this information exactly as it was originally entered.

How do I create my application and how long will it take?

On average, allow approximately 30-45 minutes to complete your application. We encourage you to complete each part of the application in detail. You can add additional work history and education as needed. Please start with most recent experience/educational information when prioritizing your information. Each time you input information, you will need to click on the Save & View Application button. If the system is inactive over 30 minutes, it will automatically log you off and will only keep information from the last time you clicked on the Save & View Application.

How do I save my information?

If at any time you need to exit the application, click the Save & View button at the bottom of the form. All of the information that you have inputted up to that point will be stored. You can return to your application later by logging into your account with your username and password.

Can I submit a resume?

You may either attach or cut and paste a resume into your application. Please note that submitting a resume does not substitute for completing the entire application form. Incomplete applications may be eliminated from consideration for employment.

If the job requires a Certified Type Test, where can I take one?

If a typing test is required, you must obtain a certified type test from Layton City or other verifiable source within the last 6 months (internet tests are not acceptable). Typing tests can be taken at the Layton City Human Resources office located at 437 North Wasatch Drive, Layton, UT 84041, between the hours of 8:00 am to 4:30 pm Monday through Friday. Type tests must be submitted before the closing date.

How can I verify that my application has been received?

If you submitted electronically, you will receive an e-mail confirmation shortly after submission. To verify the positions you’ve submitted applications for, login using you user ID and password. Then click on Application Status to review the status of your submitted applications. All application materials (including resumes and supplemental documentation) must be received by the posted close time and date. Late application materials will not be considered. The Human Resources Division is not responsible for failure of other agencies, internet service providers or postal services to forward applications by the deadline.

What if I am interested in a position that is not currently on the City job list?

If you wish to receive notification when a job you are interested in becomes available, click on the Job Notification Request.

How can I get assistance in completing my application?

You can request assistance at the Layton City Human Resources office located at 437 North Wasatch Drive, Layton, UT. You may also call the Layton City Human Resources office at (801) 336-3820 during business hours of 8:00 am - 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday.

How do I change my address, phone or e-mail information?

You may login to Layton City Jobs Online and make the changes to your master profile. You may also contact the Human Resources Division at (801) 336-3820 during business hours of 8:00 am –5:00 pm, Monday through Friday.

How can I review the status of recruitment, my account or application?

To check on the status of a particular recent recruitment, log in and then click on Application Status to see the status of your submitted applications.

Do I have to submit a separate application for each open job?

Yes. However, once you create an account, you may build an application and submit that application for multiple jobs by clicking on the ‘Populate’ button to automatically populate the new application with information from your previously created application. Review and update your application as necessary. Once your account is created, applying for open recruitments is quick and easy.

Will I automatically be considered for other positions if I previously submitted an application?

No. Each time we list a job opportunity and you are still interested in being considered you should apply. To ensure you will be considered for other positions, watch our Job Opportunities site of fill in a Job Notification Request. You must submit a separate application for all positions you are interested in.

How will I know when Layton City is hiring for a specific job?

You may complete a Job Notification Request to register for notification of specific job titles. When a position with that title is posted, you will receive an e-mail notification at the e-mail address your provided within your application account.

I missed the deadline – can I still apply?

No. As with any position, once a closing date has passed, no application will be accepted or considered. Please continue to visit the Layton City website and apply for new jobs as they become available. You may also want to complete a Job Notification Request to automatically be notified when a position you are interested in becomes available.

What benefits does Layton City offer?

General Employee Benefits

Fire Fighter Benefits

Sworn Police Officer Benefits

How will I be contacted regarding the status of the position I applied for?
Based on your selection of preferred notification choice, you will received results by e-mail or U.S. mail.
Does Layton City participate in E-Verify?

Yes, Layton City does participate in E-Verify.
E-Verify is an Internet-based system operated by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) in partnership with the Social Security Administration (SSA). E-Verify electronically compares information entered on the Employment Eligibility Verification, Form I-9, with records contained in SSA and Department of Homeland Security (DHS) databases to help employers verify the identity and employment eligibility of newly hired employees. Down below you will find the Right to Work and the E-Verify Participation posters in an English and Spanish version.


When are the city parks open?
All city parks are open from 4:30am to midnight.
Does the city provide trash receptacles in public parks?
No, the City does not provide garbage receptacles in public parks. Therefore, you are asked to take any garbage with you when you leave the park.

Planning & Zoning

How can I find the zoning for my property?
You can determine the zone of a property by using the City’s Interactive Zoning Map.
Where can I find setback and lot requirements for a specific zone?
Table 5-1 and Table 5-2 shows the required setbacks and lot requirements for zones within Layton City
How can I find out what trees are allowed in the park strip?
View the Permitted Street Trees table to see the allowed trees in park strips
How can I get informed about Planning Commission meeting agenda items?

Planning Commission is held the 2nd and 4th Tuesday of every month. Agendas are posted on the City’s website the Friday before the Planning Commission meeting. You can view the agendas by going to the Government and clicking on Planning Commission Meetings, then clicking the Agenda/Minutes tab or click here.

How can I find out what the parking requirements are for a certain type of business?
You can find parking requirements under Title 19.12 Off Street Parking
Am I allowed to have chickens?

Property that are under a single family zone (R-1-6, R-1-8, R-1-10, and R-S zoning districts) are allowed to have up to 6 female chickens as long as the following criteria is met:

-          The property is at least 10,000 square feet

-          The chickens are keep in a pen in a fenced rear yard that is at least 5 feet from any property line

-          The pen is no larger than 120 square feet and no more than 7 feet tall

-          A annual $30 permit is obtained from the Community and Economic Development Department. Click Here for the permit

-          Additional requirements may apply for a full copy of the ordinance see Layton City Municipal Code 19.06.080(2) Residential Chickens


Do I need to cover my trash on the way to the landfill?
Yes. All loads need to be covered on the way to the landfill.

Police Records

Can I get a copy of a police report?

In order to comply with Utah State Law, requests for police reports are evaluated on a case-by-case basis. Requests may be started online by filling out an Online Record Request Form or they may be made in person at the Records Division, Monday - Friday, 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM, excluding legal holidays.  Requests received via mail will also only be considered if the signature on the request is notarized.

Valid government issued photo ID or notarization of identity is required in order for records to be released, regardless of the method used to request the record.

In order to process the request, you will be asked to provide the following information: Your identity, case number (if known), address of occurrence, date of occurrence, parties involved and type of report.

There is a $5.00 fee for up to 10 pages and $0.25 for each additional page of each report.  If photos are requested, the photos may be copied to a CD for $10.00 or prints may be made.  The cost for prints of photos is $10.00 for up to 10 photos and $2.00 per additional photo.

Most requests can be processed within 10 days of receipt.

Online Record Request Form

Can I get a copy of a traffic accident report?
In accordance with Utah State Law, accident reports can be released to:
  1. A person involved in the accident, excluding witnesses;
  2. A person suffering loss or injury in the accident;
  3. A parent or legal guardian of a minor involved in the accident;
  4. An agent of a person involved in the accident (attorney, insurer or other entity, or an individual with written permission);
  5. A state, local or federal agency that uses the records for official governmental investigative or accident prevention purposes;
  6. Law enforcement personnel when acting in their official capacities;
  7. Licensed private investigators when acting in their official capacities.

Requests can be started online by filling out an Online Record Request Form or you can make your request in person at the Records Division, Monday - Friday, 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM, excluding legal holidays. Valid government issued photo ID or notarization of identity is required in order for records to be released, regardless of the method used to request the record.  Requests received via mail will also only be considered if the signature on the request is notarized.

There is a $5.00 charge for up to 10 pages and $0.25 for each additional page of each report. If photos were taken, the photos may be copied to a CD for $10.00 or prints may be made.  The cost for prints of photos is $10.00 for up to 10 photos and $2.00 per additional photo.

Online Record Request Form

Where can I go to get fingerprints?
Layton Police Department provides fingerprinting services to residents of Layton, or employees of Layton businesses that require fingerprints by law, such as automobile dealerships, medical care facilities, financial institutions, etc. Residents must provide proof of residency with either government issued photo ID with name and address, or utility bill with name and address. Employees of Layton businesses must provide proof of employment with either a letter on company letterhead verifying that the person requesting fingerprints is employed by the business and must be fingerprinted for employment, or a business card with the name of the person requesting fingerprints and the business address printed on the card.

Services are generally offered Tuesdays and Thursdays between 2:00 P.M. and 4:00 P.M. However, days and times may be temporarily adjusted for holidays or unforeseen circumstances. The cost is $15.00 for up to three fingerprint cards and $5.00 for every card thereafter.

Individuals who need fingerprinting that do not meet these requirements can contact their local police department to see if they offer these services, or contact the Bureau of Criminal Identification. Information on the Utah Bureau of Criminal Identification can be found at

Risk Management

Who should I notify if I become aware of bad potholes, downed or obstructed traffic control devices, missing or unsecured water meter or manhole lids, or any other potentially hazardous condition on City property?
Citizens should notify police dispatch immediately, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at (801) 497-8300 of any unsafe condition they become aware of that involves City property.
How do I file a claim against the City for damages alleged to be caused by the City?
Refer to the City’s website under “Departments”, “Management Services”, “Risk Management”, “File a Claim” to download a claim form, or visit the Management Services department on the lower level of the Layton City Center to obtain a claim form. You will be instructed to complete the claim form, have it notarized, and submit it through the City Recorder’s office to the Management Services department.

Secondary Water

Which company provides secondary water to my home?

Click to view the secondary water map

Areas shaded on the map represent the following three secondary water service areas within Layton City:

  • Blue = Weber Basin
  • Green = Kays Creek Irrigation
  • Red = Davis and Weber Counties Canal Company
I would like to report a leak or pressure problem on my secondary system. Who do I contact?

It depends on which secondary water company is in your area. First, check the secondary water service area map and determine the provider.  Then contact the appropriate company as listed below:

  • Weber Basin secondary service area -- contact Layton City Public Works Shop at (801) 336-3720 or submit an online leak or problem
  • Kays Creek Irrigation service area -- contact Kays Creek Irrigation at (801) 941-2010
  • Davis and Weber Counties Canal Company service area – call Davis and Weber Counties Canal Company at (801) 774-6373
Why does my secondary water system have low pressure?

Most secondary water systems have filters that need to be cleaned periodically by the home or business owner.  Check that your filter is cleaned regularly.  Also refer to the following guidance from Weber Basin’s website:

My secondary water system is leaking in my yard. Who is responsible for fixing it?

Refer to the following info from Weber Basin’s website to determine typical ownership.

Can I connect to the secondary water system in my area?

Please contact the secondary water company directly to discuss connection opportunities.  Check that your location is within a secondary water service area by using the following map.


What is Smart911?
Smart911 is a free service that allows residents to create a Safety Profile for their household that includes any information they want 9-1-1 to have in the event of an emergency. Then, when anyone in that household dials 9-1-1 from a phone associated with their Safety Profile, their profile is immediately displayed to the 9-1-1 call taker providing additional information that can be used to facilitate the proper response to the proper location. At a time when seconds count, being able to provide 9-1-1 with all details that could impact response the second an emergency call is placed could be the difference between life and death.
Where is Smart911?
Smart911 is available in Layton, and hundreds of communities across the U.S. Layton is the first community in Utah to adopt the program.
Who can sign up for Smart911?
Anyone can register a Safety Profile. Some people that will find Smart911 especially valuable are families with children, elderly and seniors, those who are deaf, hard of hearing, or blind, families with autistic members, those with physical or developmental disabilities, people with allergies or other medical conditions, and pet owners.
How do I sign up? Does it cost anything?
Visit to set up a Safety Profile. The service is free to residents. The process is easy, and only takes a few minutes. Registration includes filling out a form on the website and validating each phone on the Safety Profile with a text message or phone call. Information in the Safety Profile can be updated by you at any time.
Is my information private and secure? Will it be used for anything else?
Yes. Your privacy is important to us. Your information is made available ONLY to 9-1-1 call takers and responders ONLY in the event you call 9-1-1. Smart911 utilizes the highest standards in physical and computer security technologies and conducts regular audits to ensure all information held in Smart911 is kept secure. Smart911 does not sell or share information from the Safety Profile with any other party.
What kind of phones can I register?
All phone types including land line, cell, and VoIP can use Smart911. Calls placed from any phone associated with the Smart911 Safety Profile will display your information to the 9-1-1 call taker.
What can I do if I have other questions?
Visit for more frequently asked questions, contact Karl Kuehn at Layton Police, 801-336-3507, or email


If I see a downed traffic sign or traffic light what should I do?
Call Public Works at 336-3720 during regular business hours or Police Dispatch at 497-8300 after hours, on weekends or on holidays.
What are the priorities for snow removal?

The City has established the following priorities for snow removal.

Priority 1: Primary traffic streets are usually known as arterials. Arterial streets are determined to be the high volume, minimum network which must be kept open to provide the basic transportation system serving the high volume streets, hazardous intersections, hospitals, fire stations, police stations, schools and other “safety sensitive” areas within the City.

Collector streets are the basic networks covering the major traffic streets. Included are selected critical steep grade streets, access to schools and critical commercial areas.

Priority 2: Secondary and residential routes are selected minor arterial, secondary intersections, collectors, bus routes and residential neighborhood streets deemed desirable to be maintained as time and storm duration permit.

Priority 3: Remaining city streets, accesses or unpaved roadways

Please Note:
It is not the position of the City of Layton to maintain a bare pavement policy or to provide snow and ice removal on every City Street during or after every snowstorm. Therefore, after periods in which the movement of traffic has occurred, snowplows are not as effective for totally clearing packed snow or icy roadways. Temperatures, storm duration and intensity have a profound effect on the ability of snowplows to clear streets and for salt to melt the snow and ice.

Surf 'n Swim

Will the pool close due to lightning even with the bubble on?

Yes, the pool(s) will close during lightning storms.

The bubble is not protected from lightning strikes and is therefore considered an outdoor pool.

Current operating procedure is as follows; At the first signs of lightning or thunder, the pool(s) will be evacuated. If the staff sees lightning, hears thunder or the lightning detector indicates a strike closer than 8 miles; the pool(s), surrounding deck and grassy areas will be cleared. The pool(s) will remain cleared for at least 30 minutes after the last observed lightning or thunder. Patrons should leave the pool(s) and the surrounding area. Seek shelter inside the lobby and racquetball area.


What are the Utility Billing office hours?
Layton City Utility Billing Department office hours are from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM Monday through Friday, except holidays.
What services does Layton City Utility Billing Department bill for?

Layton City bills for water, sewer, garbage, and storm drain. For new resident information please click here.

The minimum bill for residential services for a standard water meter is $113.90. The minimum bill is as follows:

UtilityPrice for 2 monthsComments
Water $25.70 First 14,000 gallons and $1.14 per thousand gallons over 14,000 gallons in the 2 month period.
Sewer $52.90  
Garbage $22.10 $16.70 for each additional can with 6 month minimum commitment.
Recycling - $11.00 per billing cycle (optional)
Storm Drain $9.20  
Street Lighting $4.00  
I am new to Layton City and need to establish utility service. What do I do?

The Layton City Utility Billing Department bills for water, sewer, garbage and storm sewer. If you are new to the city and need to sign up for services, we do require you to read and accept the application disclaimer. There are several options to complete this:


  • Come into our office at 437 N. Wasatch Drive and fill out the application at a kiosk. We are located in the Layton City Center next to the Surf N’ Swim. Our hours are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.


Layton City charges a $25 new account fee, as well as a refundable $45 deposit. We must receive these payments before we can begin new services. Please contact us at 801-336-3860 to make a payment.

In most instances, water service can be started the same day we receive a signed application. To find out what day your garbage pickup day is, please call our office at 336-3860. You can download a new resident packet by clicking here.

Is a deposit required when signing up for utility service?
There is a $45 deposit and a $25 new account fee required to establish services with Layton City.  
I am moving from Layton and need to discontinue services. What do I need to do?
Please contact the Utility Billing department at (801) 336-3860 to terminate your account.
How often does Layton City bill for services?
Layton City bills for residential utility services every other month.
When are utility payments due and what happens if I don’t pay my bill on time?
Utility payments are due upon receipt of the bill and become delinquent after the 5th of the month following the month of billing. (Example: If you are billed in March, payment is due before April 6th). Delinquent payments are assessed a $5.00 late fee.
Are there utility payment options other than by mail?
They are:
  • In person: we accept cash, checks, Visa, Mastercard, and Discover.
  • AutoPay: Electronic funds transfer from your bank account
  • Web payments: Payments are accepted on the City’s web site using a credit card or electronic funds transfer. Click here for a link to the web payment page.
  • Utility Payment Drop Box: Located on the east side of the City Center parking lot next to the blue U.S. Postal Service mailbox. Checks only please.
  • By phone: We will accept Debit/Credit Card payments over the phone.
How do I set up AutoPay for electronic funds transfer?
In person in the Utility Billing office, request an application by sending an email to or call the Utility Billing office and request a form.
How do order an additional garbage can? The lid on my garbage can broke off. Who do I contact?
Call Layton City’s Utility Billing office at (801) 336-3860.
My garbage wasn’t picked up on its regularly scheduled day. Who do I contact?
If your garbage was not picked up on its regularly scheduled day please call the Utility Billing Office at (801)336-3860.
How do I contact the Landfill?
Wasatch Integrated Waste Management District is located at 1256 East Highway 193 and their phone number is 614-5600. Their website is

Victim Services

What is "crime victim reparations"?
Crime victim reparations is a federal compensation program funded by fines paid by criminal offenders. You may be eligible for this program if a police report has been filed.
What is "restitution"?
Utah Code 77-38a-102(11) defines restitution as full, partial or nominal payment for pecuniary damages to a victim including the accrual of interest from the time of sentencing, insured damages, and payment for expenses to a governmental entity for extradition or transportation and as further defined by law.
Who is considered a victim?
Utah Code 77-38a-102(14)(a) defines a victim as any person whom the court determines has suffered pecuniary damages as a result of a defendant's criminal activities. A victim does not include any codefendant in the defendant's criminal activities.
What is criminal activity?
Utah Code 77-38a-102(2) defines criminal activity as any offense of which the defendant is convicted or any other criminal conduct for which the defendant admits responsibility to the sentencing court with or without an admission of committing the criminal conduct.
What are pecuniary damages?
Utah Code 77-38a-102(6) defines pecuniary damages as all special damages, but not general damages, which a person could recover against the defendant in a civil action arising out of the facts or events constituting the defendant's criminal activities and includes the money equivalent of property taken, destroyed, broken, or otherwise harmed, and losses including earnings and medical expenses.
How do I apply for restitution?

Restitution must be requested through the criminal case. So, if restitution is needed for an item that was stolen, the request must be submitted through the theft case filed against the defendant.

Restitution can be requested through the prosecutor's victim advocate program. A formed called a "Victim Impact Statement" will be provided which needs to be completed, signed and returned with copies of receipts or other documents that support the claim.

If a victim advocate is not available in your area, restitution can also be requested by submitting a letter to the court that includes the court case number, the amount of restitution requested and copies of receipts or other documents that support the claim.

How does the court decide what to order for restitution?

Utah Code 77-38a-302

Utah Code states that the things to be considered in determining restitution are:

  • the cost of the damage or lost property
  • the cost of the medical and related professional services and devices
  • the cost of funeral and related services
  • the financial resources of the defendant
  • the ability of the defendant to pay
  • the rehabilitative effect on the defendant of the payment of restitution
  • other circumstances which the court deems relevant
If restitution is ordered to me, how do I collect it?

If restitution is ordered to be paid to you, the defendant will pay it to the court or through a probation agency. The court or probation agency will then forward a check to you for the amount paid.

If you do not receive payments as ordered, contact the court first and they can either tell you what the delay is, how to get the matter back on the court calendar for non-payment or who the probation agency is that should be collecting the restitution.

Is there any other way to get restitution for my medical bills without having to wait for the defendant to pay restitution?

Crime Victim Reparations is a federal compensation program funded by fines paid by criminal offenders. You may be eligible for this program if you are a victim of a crime against persons and if a police report has been filed.

For complete information on restitution, refer to Utah Code section 77-38a.


What should I do if I hear or see water running in the street or on my property?
Call Public Works at 336-3720 during regular business hours or Police Dispatch at 497-8300 after hours, on weekends or on holidays.
If I have water pressure problems what should I do?
You can start by checking your screens in your sinks to make sure they are not plugged. Then you might want to check your regulator, it should be located near your shutoff valve. If you have continued problems call Public Works at 336-3720.